News: Need training? HyperSizer Training Videos are available now! Learn more here: https://hypersizer.com/trainingevents/e-learning/

Author Topic: Basic User Manual Questions  (Read 13781 times)

HyperSizer User

• Client
    •  
Basic User Manual Questions
« on: September 19, 2008, 07:30:02 AM »
On page 64 of the HyperSizer Basic manual, step. 4 says use two sheet stiffened, link flange and web thickness, link facesheet materials. My questions are:

1) What does link facesheet material option do for us in this case of just having one facesheet? Didn't we already assined the material to these components earlier (i.e., on page 46 )?

2) What does link flange and web thickness does? If that is the case, and web and flange thickness aren\'t the same we can go to variable section of sizing menue and assign different thciknesses to each components. Right?

Phil

• Administrator
    • HyperSizer Structural Sizing Software
    •  
Re: Basic User Manual Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 07:30:39 AM »
1. You are correct.  Turning on the Link Facesheet Materials will have no affect on the optimization if there is no lower facesheet.  It is probably more of a situation where it is saying you don't need to turn it off than actively needing it on.  It will not affect anything for this particular analysis either way.

I don't understand the second part of this question.  I don't see anything on Page 64 related to materials.

2. Link Flange and Web Thickness tells HyperSizer that when the stiffener is optimized, the thicknesses of the upper and lower flanges should be enforced to be the same as the thickness of the web.  If you turn this on, the upper and lower bounds entered for the flange thicknesses will be ignored.  Only the upper and lower bounds of the web will be used.  This effectively turns off the upper and lower flange thickness variables.