News: Need training? HyperSizer Training Videos are available now! Learn more here: https://hypersizer.com/trainingevents/e-learning/

Author Topic: Calling HyperSizer from Java  (Read 16783 times)

HyperSizer User

• Client
    •  
Calling HyperSizer from Java
« on: October 30, 2008, 10:51:24 AM »
I found a program called J/Invoke
www.jinvoke.com which can call dll's from JAVA.
for ex it works with C:\WINDOWS\system32 \user32.dll.

I want to try this but was wondering if the HyperSizer Object model would work. As I understand the full object model is in C:\Program Files\HyperSizer\hypersizer.exe but does that mean the object model exists as "exported dll functions" which I think is what Jinvoke needs?

Any other thoughts lately on the JAVA access to HyperSizer ?

Phil

• Administrator
    • HyperSizer Structural Sizing Software
    •  
Re: Calling HyperSizer from Java
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 10:53:23 AM »
I have not looked into Java support in a long time. Microsoft used to have a version of Java that supported COM/ActiveX directly and worked well with HyperSizer. But after a lawsuit with Sun, they are no longer allowed to distribute that version of Java, so I lost track of how to interface Java with HyperSizer.

J# is a java-like environment, however, I don't think it is true java. It actually runs on the .NET common language run-time, which is not platform independent like the java virtual machine. Since it is a .NET tool, I would assume that you can get native support for ActiveX to call HyperSizer from within the J# environment, but I've never tried it. We have successfully interfaced with HyperSizer using C#, but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to go to J#.

For this J/Invoke product, is it calling ActiveX dlls? Or the older style standard DLLs? HyperSizer exposes its methods using COM/ActiveX, therefore if this product can call ActiveX DLLs, it can also call HyperSizer. However, if it is just linking directly to a DLL, like calling a function from the Windows API, that is not really the same thing and I don't think it would work with HyperSizer.

Let me know if this helps.