News: HyperSizer.com has a Community Board and Customer Support System. Submit a ticket at http://hypersizer.com/ticket

Author Topic: Question about importing projects and keeping the default units option  (Read 14022 times)

HyperSizer Moderator

• HyperSizer Moderator
  • Administrator
    • HyperSizer Structural Sizing Software
    •  
Question submitted by HyperSizer user via email:

Previously, I have always set up components in a workspace by entering dimensions, loads, etc. in English units, as I believed that this was the native units of the database. I was then able to toggle the units to SI using the “units” option on the workspace. For the latest workspace I have set up, the units have automatically been set to SI and the component dimensions have not changed from the appropriate dimension in inches. Also, I have set up the components using global designs (imported with the 5.2 database); this has pulled in the dimensions of face sheets, stiffeners, etc. and they are again in inches. Do I still need put everything into the database via the API using English units, or will the default units for the project be used instead? If the latter, why were the global design values brought in inches and not converted?

Phil

• Administrator
    • HyperSizer Structural Sizing Software
    •  
Did you import the workspace from a previous database where you had set the units to SI?  If so, the preference for SI would have come across with the workspace?  The native units of the database are in English.  I don’t think that will ever change.  The Object Model today requires you to enter units in English regardless of the setting on your workspace in the interface.   I could see at some point changing the object model to accommodate entering SI units, but we have no immediate plans to do so.

If there is an inconsistency in the way HyperSizer is importing your global designs, then perhaps best to discuss on the phone.    The global designs should be stored in English units.  Then when you use them in a workspace, they should automatically change to the units selected for your workspace.