News: Need training? HyperSizer Training Videos are available now! Learn more here: https://hypersizer.com/trainingevents/e-learning/

Author Topic: HyperSizer v6.2 consolidating PCOMPs on import  (Read 27842 times)

HughG

•  
HyperSizer v6.2 consolidating PCOMPs on import
« on: October 12, 2012, 02:13:19 PM »
I'm using v6.2 and finding that when I import a FEM with PCOMPs that have identical layups, HyperSizer will only create one laminate and assign it to all the components that have the same layup.
I don't recall this behavior in previous versions of HyperSizer. I believe it used to create a laminate for each PCOMP regardless of whether it had the same layup as another PCOMP.
Is there a way to disable this feature?

James

• Administrator
    •  
Re: HyperSizer v6.2 consolidating PCOMPs on import
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 11:13:11 AM »
The code was changed to prevent duplicate laminates on import. We thought this would be more desirable and easier to maintain than having the same laminate created multiple times and assigned to many groups.

Is there a reason you would prefer having duplicate laminates for each group?

-James

HughG

•  
Re: HyperSizer v6.2 consolidating PCOMPs on import
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 10:38:47 AM »
I can understand that it would be desirable to keep the number of laminates created on import to a minimum, but it does not suit my application. The FEM I'm using is imported from a larger integrated FEM, and the PCOMP property regions are managed external to HyperSizer. Previously, I could tweak the individual PCOMPs assigned to the components and re-analyze the assembly. But now a single laminate can be assigned to multiple components, so that when the laminate changes, it affects all the components assigned to that laminate. It's unclear which laminates are assigned to which components, as the IDs don't match anymore.
I'm aware that this is not the intended use for the software, but I'm simply trying to post-process integrated FEM results and tweak the layups as required. I think an 'Import/Export' option that lets the user specify if PCOMPs are consolidated would be beneficial.