News: Need training? HyperSizer Training Videos are available now! Learn more here: https://hypersizer.com/trainingevents/e-learning/

Author Topic: POST BUCKLING  (Read 32465 times)

MIRO2

•  
POST BUCKLING
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:20:18 PM »
Hello there

I am trying to perform Post Backling analysis, by checking appropriate field in Workspace/Projectsizing field.

Analysis was performed, but no results of any kind could be traced related to postbuckling.  Please note MS obtained was negative for buckling ( meaning post buckling should take place ) cross section was Hat and X and Y dimensions were default .

I was in communicating with James Ainsworth, who supplied some valued PPT files and website where I could find them. One of them called " 1501_+HyperSizer_Local_Postbuckling-2008-07-24.ppt"
gives quite overview of subject but fails short as many HyperSizer papers and presentation to provide
step by step guidance how to set up, run , and check results of particular typical analysis.

Can anybody provide step by step guide for Post buckling analysis, from geometry to results, in a fashion similar as MSC provides fro lets say PATRAN.

Thanks in advance

Miro

Phil

• Administrator
    • HyperSizer Structural Sizing Software
    •  
Re: POST BUCKLING
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 09:32:26 AM »
The documentation for running local post buckling falls short because we are still actively developing this capability, but better capability is coming soon.

If you have a required margin of safety of zero for local buckling, and you get a negative margin, then HyperSizer treats local buckling as a failure and does not try to do local buckling analysis. What you want to do is tell HyperSizer that you are going to allow local buckling at some value below limit load, say for example you want to allow local buckling at up to 40% limit load.    You do this by putting in a "required" limit margin of safety of (-0.6) on the failure tab for local buckling of the spacing span.  This means that if the local buckling margin of safety is anything higher than -0.6, HyperSizer will not treat this as a failure, but will perform local post buckling.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:23:25 AM by Phil »