News: Contact us to upgrade your software!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Bolted Joints / Where did hypersizer get their BJSFM code?
« Last post by ngordon on January 15, 2018, 07:11:03 PM »
I am interested where the hypersizer BJSFM code came from. I have heard there have been problems with a number of versions and wonder what hypersizer's version has been vetted to.
Panel Buckling / Panel Buckling with Fixed Boundary Conditions and Pure Shear
« Last post by ngordon on January 15, 2018, 07:09:25 PM »
I have an sandwich with 1 inch core and bi-directional cloth at a 45 deg on top and bottom, Nxy = 1000 lbs/in, and fixed-fixed boundary conditions and the buckling eigenvalues appear very large when compared to a nastran solution.

However, when I do the same analysis with Simple-Simple support, I get a similar answer to nastran.

For an isotropic plate, Roarks would estimate the simple-support BC would be about 2x lower, but hypersizer is showing about a 10x lower eigenvalue for simple support

There is the possibility my nastran model is incorrect, but I am curious if anyone else has come across this?
Material Strength Composites: Ply Approach / Re: Interlaminar Tension (AID 204)
« Last post by James on January 04, 2018, 10:04:52 PM »
Yes, the radius is computed from the grid locations. The radius of curvature is calculated per component, as described in the following help topic.

https://hypersizer.com/help_7.3/#FE-Shells/shell-buckling_span.php
See "Radius of Curvature Calculation"

The curvature is displayed on the "Buckling" tab and used for interlaminar tension, sandwich flatwise tension and panel buckling.

I hope this is helpful.

-James
Material Strength Composites: Ply Approach / Interlaminar Tension (AID 204)
« Last post by joaquingut on January 04, 2018, 07:28:41 PM »
Does Hypersizer calculate the radii used in equation 4.2 (HME Methods and Equations
Composite Strength, Ply-Based) from the mesh? We have to analyze some parts that have variable curvature and this would be very handy.
Express / Re: Core Ramp
« Last post by James on January 04, 2018, 02:35:45 PM »
Express does not use the element core tapers.
« Last post by joaquingut on January 04, 2018, 12:25:06 PM »
In addition to the Core Ramp plugin PRO takes into account the effect of the core ramp for core shear analyses (AID 107-109) and the flatwise tension with interlaminar shear interaction failure analysis (AID 104). Is this still true for Express?
Express / Re: What are Virtual Load Cases?
« Last post by BStier on January 04, 2018, 09:02:51 AM »
Virtual load cases are used in Express for deflection limit optimizations. They are required for the  adjoint solution. More detail on the theory can be found in 'Kyung K. Choi, Nam H. Kim: Structural Sensitivity Analysis and Optimization 1'. In most cases, the proper virtual load cases will be generated automatically (simply by defining a deflection limit).
In particular cases, users might want to manually create virtual load cases. Load cases flagged 'virtual' on import can be paired with 'actual' load cases in the stiffness deflection limit definition. Virtual load cases will NOT be accounted for in the strength sizing routine.
Express / Re: Analysis Factors
« Last post by James on January 04, 2018, 12:20:26 AM »
You cannot change the component load factors in Express. You must modify the Express template using Pro. To update the template, open Pro and open the Express template database. Select Preferences > Defaults and set the default load factors = 1.0. This will enforce that the component-based load factors = 1.0. It is our best practice to assign the load factors to the load sets and not the components.

-James
« Last post by James on January 04, 2018, 12:19:31 AM »
No, core ramps are not supported in Express. The core ramp analysis is performed with a plugin package which requires HyperSizer Pro.

See: https://hypersizer.com/help_7.3/#Udef/Plugin-HS_plugins_core_ramp.php%3FTocPath%3DAnalysis%2520Plugins%7CPublished%2520Plugin%2520Packages%7C_____4

-James
Express / Analysis Factors
« Last post by joaquingut on January 03, 2018, 08:48:58 PM »
How do you change Analysis Factors in Express? (In PRO it is possible to change the load factor on the Load Sets AND on the Sizing Form. I did an example in express (analysis mode) and I can't find how to change the value used in the sizing form. I need to use a ultimate factor of 1.0 (my loads are already factored).

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10