News: Need training? HyperSizer Training Videos are available now! Learn more here: https://hypersizer.com/trainingevents/e-learning/

Author Topic: Regarding wind turbine blade (cutting components)  (Read 30897 times)

orchidworld

•  
Regarding wind turbine blade (cutting components)
« on: April 01, 2015, 02:35:01 AM »
Hi, All?
I have some confusion about components.
for example? please see the attachments:
the blade structure is like picture 1. there are skins, spar caps and shearwebs from the section.
in the second picture and the third picture, whether is reasonable about the x buckling span and y buckling span of the components. I think we cant randomly cutting the components, because the buckling failure is related to the buckling span. how to understand about picture 2 and picture 3.
thanks
OW

James

• Administrator
    •  
Re: Regarding wind turbine blade (cutting components)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 11:51:15 AM »
Hi OW,

The buckling spans for wind blade pressure shells are tricky since there are no ribs to serve as panel breakers. When we have sized wind blades, we'll use a multiple of the chordwise (or edgewise) buckling span and set that to the spanwise buckling span. The edgewise buckling boundary conditions are  provided by the shear webs. Then we'll set the spanwise buckling spans to 5*edgewise span. This is usually conservative when compared to FEA.

Along the same topic is a new feature that tracks global buckling mode shapes. It is a HyperFEA enhancement that imports the global buckling eigenvalues then uses the corresponding mode shapes to figure out where buckling is occurring. This is a very valuable feature for sizing wing blade pressure shells.

This feature is available in v7.1.20 and newer. Here is some documentation to discuss this feature.
http://hypersizer.com/help/#HyperFEA/iterate-hyperfea-global_constraints.php%3FTocPath%3DFeatures%7CFEM%2520Interface%7CIterating%2520with%2520FEA%7CAutomatic%2520Iteration%2520with%2520HyperFEA%7C_____5

-James

orchidworld

•  
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 10:35:43 PM »
Thanks James?

About new feature in V7.1.20,
I think the reference help is not enough for many users. Whether do you add some case or demo about the new feature to explain how to set every parameters and considerations.

thanks

OW

dana.frye

• Client
    •  
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 03:42:45 AM »
James,

Do you mind re-posting the link in this thread (it's broken). If I understand correctly, it sounds like there is functionality in HyperFEA where a and b can be generated based on the eigenmodes and don't have to correspond to the panel sizes. I have a similar issue as discussed here, where I need separate components to get refinement in the laminate optimization, but these components are too small compared to if the skin was separated into components strictly based on the panel-breaking ribs and spars.

Thanks!