News: Need training? HyperSizer Training Videos are available now! Learn more here: https://hypersizer.com/trainingevents/e-learning/

Author Topic: Linking layups for PORT/STBD components in linking groups  (Read 24731 times)

ChrisSummers

• Client
    •  
Linking layups for PORT/STBD components in linking groups
« on: October 07, 2019, 03:15:02 AM »
I have an assembly that contains a number of components, split symmetrically between port and starboard.  Each port/stbd component pair has a linking group which links thickness (as far as I can tell).  My loading in not symmetrical so I need to run both port and starboard.

At the moment it seems like the software will give me linked thickness only.  For example, two 4mm laminates but one may be 20/60/20% and the other 30/40/30%.

Is there a way to link the layup output between the two components? 

Thanks

Chris

Brent

• Administrator
    •  
Re: Linking layups for PORT/STBD components in linking groups
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 12:40:11 PM »
Hi Chris,

What component concept are you using?

Thanks

Brent

ChrisSummers

• Client
    •  
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 02:30:16 AM »
single stack unstiffened

Chris

Brent

• Administrator
    •  
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 11:30:38 AM »
Chris,

Assuming you are using effective laminate(EL) sizing, HyperSizer will link the material and thickness but not ply percentages. When using discrete laminate(DL) sizing, HyperSizer will link the laminates, thereby returning the same ply percentages, thickness, etc.

Hints:
  • To ensure an optimal design when progressing to DL's, request a large set of DL's to envelope the EL ply percentage results from both components.
  • If this scenario is not wide spread, you can manually force common designs for a single linking group by choosing a single EL and performing an analysis to quantify the impact to the margins of safety.
I hope this helps.

Brent