News: HyperSizer.com has a Community Board and Customer Support System. Submit a ticket at http://hypersizer.com/ticket

Author Topic: Combining Smeared Stringers with Discrete Segment Frames  (Read 22057 times)

danvic

• Client
    •  
Combining Smeared Stringers with Discrete Segment Frames
« on: September 17, 2018, 01:47:38 PM »
What would be the process (or workaround) when you have frames discretely modeled with bar elements but the stringers are to be accounted for in smeared panels (spacing to be determined)?

It seems to me that the "segments" approach is intended to be used on a model that has both the stringers and frames discretely modeled using techniques 2 or 3, and not a mixture of smeared stiffeners in one direction and discrete stiffeners in the other. So far, the best alternative I could come up with is doing a conventional smeared panel sizing for the stringers and treating the frames as independent beam assemblies.

Thanks for any idea or clarification.

Stephen

• Administrator
    •  
Re: Combining Smeared Stringers with Discrete Segment Frames
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 12:26:16 PM »
I believe what you are suggesting is the best workaround we can currently offer for this unique scenario.

Splitting the components along the frames ensures that the buckling spans are computed correctly, and then the frames can be sized independently of the stiffeners and skins. Of course in this paradigm, you do not get the benefit of the segment analysis, but iterating with FEA (especially using HyperFEA) should still result in good designs.