News: HyperSizer.com has a Community Board and Customer Support System. Submit a ticket at http://hypersizer.com/ticket

Author Topic: Linking to FEM Materials - necessary?  (Read 55442 times)

JanPio

• Client
    •  
Linking to FEM Materials - necessary?
« on: August 30, 2018, 03:41:24 AM »
Hi,
I read the manual page for linking FEA and HyperSizer (HS) material IDs and wondered if it has any other aim than enabling automatic import of the Ansys material properties?

Our IDs are not matching, e.g. 1500 in Ansys and 1501 in HS (manually edited in Excel, manually imported from Excel, manually selected for the components in the Sizing Form). As I saw in the iterated "..._i.cdb", HS exports the materials using the IDs of HS (i.e. 1501), and also assigns Mat 1501 to the elements which had 1500 in the initial Ansys run.
Are there any errors in the HyperSizer-Ansys-iterations? (Apart from the advantage that linking would be less prone to non-matching material properties in the initial ANSYS run and HyperSizer)

In particular for the smeared stiffness properties of stiffened panels, where the material properties (=matrices) also contain the updated geometry data, I want to be sure that the iterated ANSYS run uses the updated and not the old properties.
Thanks,
Jan

Stephen

• Administrator
    •  
Re: Linking to FEM Materials - necessary?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 07:35:04 AM »
Hi Jan,

HyperSizer will always output the material properties stored in the HyperSizer database for components that are assigned those materials. If you are analyzing / sizing a component in HyperSizer, there is no risk of the iterating FEM not getting those properties. The "old" properties will only be used on components that you did not set up in HyperSizer (we just copy them as-is to the iterating FEM).

We recommend syncing material IDs between HyperSizer and FEA primarily to simplify the import and setup process. If your material IDs match, HyperSizer can automatically assign materials and thicknesses, etc. to your components on FEM import. Additionally, keeping the IDs in sync helps ensure standardization of material properties especially when multiple engineers may be working on a project.

Thanks,
Stephen

JanPio

• Client
    •  
Re: Linking to FEM Materials - necessary?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 12:43:51 AM »
I see the advantage, just wanted to check previous sizings.
Thanks!