News: Contact us to upgrade your software!

Author Topic: Problems Creating an Effective Laminate  (Read 28648 times)

martinjb

• Client
    •  
Problems Creating an Effective Laminate
« on: March 07, 2014, 07:04:59 AM »
Dear Hypersizer,
Good Morning

Please read attached Word document for the pictures referenced (where the * appear) in this post.

I am using Hypersizer version 6.4.52

I am wondering if you would be able to help me trying to create an effective laminate, I have done this previously in earlier versions but seem to be having a little trouble this time around. 

I have created a quasi-isotropic lay-up in the Laminate Materials family,
I right click on the quasi-isotropic laminate and review laminate material.  This brings up the Laminate creation table with all the data of how the laminate is made up.

From this form I select ‘Analyze Laminate and calculate equivalent orthotropic materials” and the Effective laminate Properties windows is open with all the data and options.

I have chosen the numerous options and failure criteria and the clicked the button labelled “Analyze and Save As EL..” and that brings up another window labelled “Save As Effective Laminate…”  I have filled in the boxes, Material Name, Form, Specification, Basis and Bending correction Factor

When I click OK I get an error message that reads –
If I click OK I get
Then two windows are opened
If I look at the Event Viewer I find the following message
I have tried numerous different options to overcome the error message
•   I have created a new Laminate and tried to create the effective laminate and this still get the same error message.
•   I have filled in the Material Name, Form, Specification, Basis and Bending correction Factor as new and unique strings and I got the same error message. 

After reading the Event log I have tried to understand if it was my user policy and weather that would affect the creation of the Effective Laminate.  However having read the help file, I must have “User” Access as I can create projects and material data. So I am unsure if this is the problem.

Is there something fundamentally that I am doing wrong, in the creation of the Effective Laminate or is it a function of my current settings/privileges?

I have tried this on both our networks that we currently use and we have the same problem on both networks.
Thanks
Martin

James

• Administrator
    •  
Re: Problems Creating an Effective Laminate
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 06:56:50 PM »
Martin,

I've seen a similar error in this version of the software when your material reference temperature doesn't match the reference temperature on the laminate analysis form when you create the effective laminate.

On a side note, there is a better way to create effective laminates than one-by-one on the laminate analysis form. If you use the composites form you can create many EL's by specifying a source material system and a range of ply percentages.

See HyperSizer Help Documentation > Composites Form > Step 1: Create Effective Lamiantes

Also, this process has been much improved in the V7 software. If you plan to do a lot of sizing with effective laminates, I highly recommend updating to this version. Please contact us for the software download.

I hope this is helpful.

-James

martinjb

• Client
    •  
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 09:04:17 AM »
James,

Thank you for your reply; i have managed to create an Effective Laminate using the composite form.

Just as a side note about the V7 software, does it work on XP or is it only Windows 7/8? 
We have a separate network that is still using XP and this is where one of our licenses is currently used.
Thanks
Martin

James

• Administrator
    •  
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 09:06:37 AM »
HyperSizer Version 7 is compatible with both Windows 7 and XP. Having a server license with some users running W7 and others running XP should not cause any problems.

-James