News: Need training? HyperSizer Training Videos are available now! Learn more here: https://hypersizer.com/trainingevents/e-learning/

Author Topic: HyperSizer and Windows 7 Install for ALL USERS  (Read 13670 times)

Phil

• Administrator
    • HyperSizer Structural Sizing Software
    •  
HyperSizer and Windows 7 Install for ALL USERS
« on: January 05, 2011, 11:32:42 AM »
HyperSizer Version 5.8 and later versions have been tested to work on Windows 7 computers.

The only known issue is with HyperSizer on Windows 7 in a multiuser environment (i.e. the computer is part of a domain)

Windows 7 (and Vista) include a technology called User Access Control (UAC).  Under UAC, all users (including administrators) run with user level privileges. Whenever something like a software installation is performed, the privileges are elevated to administrative.

With UAC turned on, when an administrator installs HyperSizer, the process starts with user access and is elevated later.  This means that HyperSizer is installed only for the current user.  A second user that wants to use HyperSizer will need to run the installer again logged in as themselves.

For the HyperSizer installer process, to install for ALL USERS on a Windows 7 computer, there are two choices:

1. Temporarily disable UAC and reboot the computer before installing HyperSizer.  After the installation, turn UAC back on and the HyperSizer installation should work for all users.

2. Open a command prompt window by right clicking on the Command Prompt icon and selecting "Run As Administrator..."  When you do this any command started from this command prompt will automatically have admin privelege.  In the command prompt window, navigate to the location of the HyperSizer_*.MSI file and type the following:

msiexec -i hypersizer_version_<x.x.x>.msi

where <x.x.x> is the version number.  For example, for version 5.8.11, you would type:

msiexec -i hypersizer_version_5.8.11.msi

Please let us know if you run into any trouble.