News: Contact us to upgrade your software!

Author Topic: Discrete Laminates from Effective Laminates Help.  (Read 24957 times)

JEA

• Client
    •  
Discrete Laminates from Effective Laminates Help.
« on: September 08, 2009, 02:47:04 PM »
I am attempting to create a discrete laminate from an effective lamiante using the "composites button" in HyperSizer.

I have successfully run this a few times already, however, in one of the groups/assemblies, HyperSizer is generating an error on the last step where it re-analyzes the panel to select a discrete laminate.

Setup Info:
HyperSizer v5.6.38

Working with a workspace
6 groups set up, 9 components to each group (group 5 is the only group giving me an issue)

For group 5:
  • One Stack Unstiffened Panel, all components have the same load: 1000 lb/in shear load only for strength and buckling.  Limit factor and ultimate factor set to 1.0
  • Initially supply 8 Equivelent Orthotropic Material Properties (ply percentage) and a thickness of 0.06 to 1.0 with 150 permutations
  • Analyze group to get a solution
  • Hit composites button
  • Select a tape orthotropic material property (tried to hit the "generate" button, that also gave me an error, but was able to get past that, I think)
  • Size all of the components
  • Perform effective laminate ply count.  set slider to minimize weight, leave 10 compatible designs.  Hit "analyze", select "no" to the warning that I don't have ply drops defined, then "apply to assembly"
  • Resize all components.
  • Create Discrete Laminates.  after selecting my parameters, hit the "generate button"
  • Resize... this produces an error at the 5th component.

Thanks.

James

• Administrator
    •  
Re: Discrete Laminates from Effective Laminates Help.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 01:59:34 PM »
In this version I remember we were having a problem creating discrete laminates from a chosen effective laminate if the tolerances were set too low.  HyperSizer was simply not finding a solution for the DL that would satisfy the EL percentages and tolerances.

This was especially prevalent when you had a laminate with a low ply count that sized to an EL with a low percentage 45 degree plies, then tried to create a DL with the GSS (Global Stack Sublaminate) set to +45/-45 where HS will only create laminates with +45/-45 on the Toolside.

I need more details to help more effectively.

-James

Phil

• Administrator
    • HyperSizer Structural Sizing Software
    •  
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 02:04:37 PM »
If you are using this feature a lot, we would highly recommend going to the latest version, 5.7.8.

JEA

• Client
    •  
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 07:45:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I am importing the projects into 5.7.8 now.  Will let you know if I continue to have any issues.