News: HyperSizer.com has a Community Board and Customer Support System. Submit a ticket at http://hypersizer.com/ticket

Author Topic: Importing Solid Elements - Renaming of components  (Read 13259 times)

Jason_the_CA_surfer

•  
Importing Solid Elements - Renaming of components
« on: September 11, 2009, 01:39:01 PM »
I have a question/issue with importing a model that uses solid elements to represent the core of a sandwich panel and shells to represent the facesheets. Previously I have used pcomps w/shell mesh to model sandwiches and the comment name of the property set id would be imported as the name of that component in Hypersizer. Organizing it in this way enabled us to easily identify which HS components belonged to what physical area of the part.

Now that I am importing solid elements, I see that the solid elements PID comment name is brought in and the phsells modeling the facesheets get the same comment name followed by the next higher arbitrary trailing number. If more than one pcomp is attached to one solid PID then HS breaks the pcomp into two components with the second being imported as EX. "imported sandwich group, psolid: 266329 [6]". This causing a lot of headaches for us.

What we would prefer when importing solids is:
Every solid PID is imported as a component, with HS also reading in the solid PID comment name (as it does now.
Every pcomp to be imported its own component, with HS also reading in the pshell comment name (as it does normally with a shell mesh)

Enhancements that would also be much appreciated:
We are designing cylindrical parts and thus when the same core material is laid over a sweep of 100deg we have to break that core into 20 different psolids because we have to realign the material axis with a different coordinate system. It would be cool if there was an option to combine solid components that have the same material assigned to it.