News: HyperSizer.com has a Community Board and Customer Support System. Submit a ticket at http://hypersizer.com/ticket

Author Topic: Laminate with different temperature properties  (Read 23010 times)

WH

•  
Laminate with different temperature properties
« on: June 17, 2009, 12:10:02 PM »
Hi,

I have ply properties of a material at 2 different temperatures, I would like to create the laminate properties for this 2 temperatures. I'm not working from project or workspace instead I've tried to create the laminates from the layup tab and selecting the orthotropic materials. But the only option I've been given is the RT ply properties. How can change the selection to the "2nd temperature" material.

or the same subject - how does one select the 2nd temperature material in Project or Workspaces

jjainswo

Re: Laminate with different temperature properties
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 08:01:58 AM »
To create a laminate with multiple temperature data, you will need to go to the desired orthotropic material, change the name and save as new.  Then you may select “Copy material properties” from the options menu.  You will then be prompted to enter a new temperature and you may change all the stiffness and allowables for this temperature.  This way when you apply the orthotropic material to a layup it will have the two sets of temperature dependant material properties associated with it.

To select another reference temperature for material properties in a workspace or project, you may go to the setup form (load sets tab) and right click on the desired load set and select “Temperature for Material Properties”.  This option will then allow you to specify the reference temperature for all the material properties used in this load set.

Phil

• Administrator
    • HyperSizer Structural Sizing Software
    •  
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 11:51:16 AM »

To select another reference temperature for material properties in a workspace or project, you may go to the setup form (load sets tab) and right click on the desired load set and select “Temperature for Material Properties”.  This option will then allow you to specify the reference temperature for all the material properties used in this load set.

This capability is available in Version 5.6.38 and above

garyjh

• Client
    •  
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 11:58:57 AM »
This does not work for me. I have created two orthotropic materials with properties at different temperatures. Then once I have created a laminate and have analysed the properties the reference temperature does not change to reflect the temperature in the orthotropic material. If I have selected the two orthotropic materials I was expecting to be able to choose in the analyze laminate properties the two temperatures to see the difference in laminate properties.

Phil

• Administrator
    • HyperSizer Structural Sizing Software
    •  
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 03:09:03 PM »
Hi Gary,

If I understand your question correctly, you are using the "Laminate Analysis and Equivalent Orthotropic Properties" form and want to be able to see laminate properties at different temperatures.

This is very easy,  simply type in your target temperature in the box that says "Ref Temperature", press enter, and that temperature will show up in the list of reference temperatures.  You can then just click on any reference temperature and HyperSizer will interpolate to find material properties for your two materials and then calculate laminate effective properties at that temperature.  (see attached picture)

The instructions that James was describing below only applied when the laminate is used on the sizing form as part of a panel sizing.

Let me know if this helps.

Phil
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 03:10:53 PM by Phil »