News: HyperSizer.com has a Community Board and Customer Support System. Submit a ticket at http://hypersizer.com/ticket

Author Topic: Flatwise Tension Analysis  (Read 21240 times)

SD_Gabe

•  
Flatwise Tension Analysis
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:39:37 PM »
I can't seem to get a margin of safety when I try to use the "Flatwise Tension analysis" on a solid laminate. I have manually input the radius and direction of curvature. What input does this failure mode require to work?

Rocketman007

•  
Re: Flatwise Tension Analysis (Solid Laminates)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 02:16:49 PM »
Gabe

The FWT feature is set up in Hypersizer to work with a unstiffened bond panel configuration (Two face sheets and a core). FWT is the F33 stress between a face sheet and core. The input parameters are:

Radius - Buckling Tab - This is the average radius of your bond panel

Adhesive Materials - Options TAB.  Note this option only shows up for a bond panel configuration. Adhesive materials must be defined prior to this analysis.

FWT analysis is NOT applicable for a solid laminate configuration. The interlaminar tension in a curved solid laminate is derived from the equation F33t = 3M / 2t(RiRo)^0.50. This analysis is not embedded in Hypersizer.

SD_Gabe

•  
Re: Flatwise Tension Analysis
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 02:30:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't sure if HyperSizer was trying to use the F33t equation or not, which is why I asked. The Flatwise Tension Analysis option is available for a Top Stack configuration. It probably should not be available if there is no core present.

Rocketman007

•  
Re: Flatwise Tension Analysis
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 10:26:56 AM »
Gabe

You are correct, if the user picks a one stack analysis the FWT analysis option should not be available. Also, the options TAB allows the user to set up an adhesive for a bond panel. Again this option should not occur for a one stack concept. I will ask Phil to consider a software modification.

For a solid laminate configuration  F33t will only occur at a laminate radius, or at the panel edge. Hypersizer does not calculate either of these failure modes in Revision 5.7.x.