News: Need training? HyperSizer Training Videos are available now! Learn more here: https://hypersizer.com/trainingevents/e-learning/

Author Topic: Iteration issues with FEMAP and .pm1 file.  (Read 15649 times)

dlj2_msfc

• Client
    •  
Iteration issues with FEMAP and .pm1 file.
« on: May 22, 2009, 10:01:43 AM »
I used FEMAP as the format for my FEM input.  HS ran fine, but when I tried to import the .pm1 file like the users manual described, it messed my model up.  The elements are all over the place.  Any known issues/solutions?

I am using FEMAP v10.01 with .neu in v5.0
HS v5.6.38

Phil

• Administrator
    • HyperSizer Structural Sizing Software
    •  
Re: Iteration issues with FEMAP and .pm1 file.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 11:37:16 AM »
The FEMAP interface with HyperSizer is no longer being updated and there could be some problem that we are unaware of with the newer versions of FEMAP. 

My best suggestion is to use the Nastran BDF rather than the FEMAP neutral file in HyperSizer.  The Nastran interface is still being actively developed and is much more robust that the FEMAP interface.

After sizing in HyperSizer, you should be able to import the HyperSizer pm1 output back into the FEMAP model with no problem.  Let me know if there is some other reason that you would not be able to use the Nastran file.

dlj2_msfc

• Client
    •  
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 01:05:03 PM »
I usually use the NASTRAN BDF method, but switched because I have multiple "analysis sets" with multiple geometries and multiple .dat & .f06 files within the same model.  How can I capture all of the load sets in one file other than the .neu file?

Phil

• Administrator
    • HyperSizer Structural Sizing Software
    •  
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »
On the Setup tab of the Project form, you can press the "Add Run-Deck" button and you will get the option to add multiple .bdf and .f06 files.  When HyperSizer runs, it will generate multiple .PM1 files (one for each run-deck).

Notes:
1)  The FEM grids and elements will only be read from the first run-deck so if you have multiple run-decks, make sure the first one you enter (run-deck 1) contains all of the components that you want to analyze.  If your second run-deck has less elements than the first, thats ok, it just means that when HyperSizer analyzes components that are not in your second run-deck, it will assume zero loads for all of the load cases in that run-deck.

2) Make sure your load sets and nastran subcases are unique in each run-deck.

3) You can only have a single thermal case per run-deck.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Phil