News: Contact us to upgrade your software!

Author Topic: Top flange width definition for hat stiffened panel  (Read 18298 times)

ohba

• Client
    •  
Top flange width definition for hat stiffened panel
« on: January 19, 2009, 03:05:48 PM »
I have a very specific clarification regarding 1 variable definition in the 'corrugated stiffened panel' familly, for the 'hat stiffened' concept : it is regarding the 'top flange width' definition.

Is the 'top flange width' to be entered in the Variable tab equal to :
the total width (i.e summation) of the 2 top flanges
or is the data entered equal the with of 1 top flange only ?

The Figure in the Variable tab seems to indicate it is the width of ONE top flange, but the graphical window seems to inidcate that it is the sum of the width of the TWO flanges.
This is further confirm by the calculated 'top clear span' variable in the Variables Tab, which seems to be calculated as if the 'top flange width' variable is the sum of the  TWO flange width.
This is an important variable for the clear span buckling analysis

I guess I just need the confirmation that the width is to the sum of the TWO flange width. I did some preliminary FEM buckling analysis that seem to confirm that assumption.
If this the case, may I suggest that the Figure in the Variable tab be modified to reflect that the variable entered is the sum of the flange width.

Thanks

Phil

• Administrator
    • HyperSizer Structural Sizing Software
    •  
Re: Top flange width definition for hat stiffened panel
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 03:33:44 PM »
Your assessment is correct.  The top flange width variable for a hat panel is the summation of the two top flanges and not just one side.  HyperSizer looks at the flange on each side of the hat as 1/2 the total upper flange.

I can't think of a clean way off hand to show the dimension as the summation of two dimensions other than how it is shown today.  It might be easier to change the definition to be 1/2 of what it is today, the biggest problem with that is that it would be difficult to import projects from older versions of HyperSizer and maintain the correct definition.

If you can think of a better way to show it, we would be glad to consider it when updating the graphics.

* UM Basic 6.1
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 11:17:18 PM by Ryan »

ohba

• Client
    •  
Re: Top flange width definition for hat stiffened panel
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 10:46:22 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply Phil

I agree, it is not easy graphically to indicate in the Figure that the width is the sum of the 2 flange widths.
Maybe it would be best to add a small note or comment in the form to warn the user.
or rename the variable as 'Top flange - Width Hat only (TOTAL width of the 2 top flanges)'