Engineering & Analysis Methods > Miscellaneous Analysis & Methods

Modeling of a Flat Panel

(1/1)

hyperuser:
As far as I can tell, Hypersizer does not have a flat panel as an available concept.  Of course, one of the existing concepts could be used by zeroing dimensions out so that only a facesheet remains as part of the desing.  Which existing concept do you recommend using to simulate a flat panel?

Phil:
By "flat panel", I assume you mean an flat unstiffened panel like a flat metallic plate or a bare laminate, is that right? 

The concept that I think you want is in the Unstiffened/Sandwich Panel Family and is called "One-Stack Unstiffened".  Choose this concept and put in a material and thickness range for the "Stack 1/ Top Face" variable and you should be off and running.

What might be a little confusing is the way in which sandwiches and unstiffened plates are related.  The concept families in HyperSizer, such as "Unstiffened Plate/Sandwich Panel Family" are meant to let you put a bunch of different panel types in a hopper and let HyperSizer choose the optimum concept.  Therefore the variables tab does not contain variables for just one panel concept, but for ALL panel concepts within a family. 

So, even though you want an unstiffened plate, the variables tab shows you variables for one-stack, two-stack, and sandwich.  If you want to design a one-stack, you simply need to put in materials and ranges for the top stack, and choose the appropriate concept on the concepts tab (one-stack unstiffened), turn off the other concepts, and HyperSizer will ignore anything entered for the core or the bottom face variables.  Let me know if this needs further clarification.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version