News: HyperSizer.com has a Community Board and Customer Support System. Submit a ticket at http://hypersizer.com/ticket

Author Topic: Use of Stock Sizes with Metric vs English Units  (Read 14823 times)

dlj2_msfc

• Client
    •  
Use of Stock Sizes with Metric vs English Units
« on: October 29, 2008, 08:59:16 AM »
I am trying to use stock sizes for a material I created.  I created the stock size list, input my sizes, and selected the sizes to be used in the analysis, but when I analyze the group it does not select one of the stock sizes.  HS reports a thickness that isn't even an option in the variable list.  Where did HS get the value it came up with?  How do I get it to use the stock sizes I defined for that material?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:39:51 AM by Phil »

dlj2_msfc

• Client
    •  
Re: Use of Stock Sizes with Metric vs English Units
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 10:10:22 AM »
Stock sizes have to be input with English units, then HS converts them if you are using a metric model.  The value HS was putting out was the largest stock size converted to metric.  However, I put the stock sizes in as metric.  The largest stock size I input was 0.00508m, and HS was multiplying that by 0.254.  Giving the 0.000129m as the largest stock size.  When I went back in and input the stock sizes as 0.20", the sizes came out right.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:39:59 AM by Phil »

Phil

• Administrator
    • HyperSizer Structural Sizing Software
    •  
Re: Use of Stock Sizes with Metric vs English Units
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 10:39:24 AM »
You are correct.  The stock size list is always assumed to be in english units(inches), regardless of the units currently displayed on the sizing form.  I will add that to our list of future fixes.