News: Need training? HyperSizer Training Videos are available now! Learn more here: https://hypersizer.com/trainingevents/e-learning/

Author Topic: Panel superimposed pressure interacting with running loads  (Read 33581 times)

HyperSizer User

• Client
    •  
Panel superimposed pressure interacting with running loads
« on: October 06, 2008, 11:11:14 AM »
In the context of the plate with simultaneous edge and pressure loading and in FBD menu for a panel ,
1) Seems like if we apply pressure only, beam-column solution just produces zero reaction instead of what we get when we have "panel pressure" chosen (in other words, beam column solution doesn’t degenerate to simple panel with pressure). Even, when I applied a compressive edge load of NX and pressure, and selected beam-column I got panel thickness unchanged compared to when I had just edge loading. Am I missing something or the "beam-column moments" option is not working properly?

2) When I have the edge loads, say a compressive NX, and add a pressure and choose "panel pressure", my NX design-to-loads along NX listed under FBD output end up being different from those I entered! One thinks that all the panel pressure does is that it produces moment and out of plane shear loads but not any edge tension or compression loads (i.e., Nx, Ny).

Phil

• Administrator
    • HyperSizer Structural Sizing Software
    •  
Re: Panel superimposed pressure interacting with running loads
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:08:07 PM »
In the context of the plate with simultaneous edge and pressure loading and in FBD menu for a panel ,
1) Seems like if we apply pressure only, beam-column solution just produces zero reaction instead of what we get when we have "panel pressure" chosen (in other words, beam column solution doesn’t degenerate to simple panel with pressure). Even, when I applied a compressive edge load of NX and pressure, and selected beam-column I got panel thickness unchanged compared to when I had just edge loading. Am I missing something or the "beam-column moments" option is not working properly?

1.Beam-Column works with panel pressure or with an initial imperfection.  If you turn off the “superimpose pressure” option and there is no initial imperfection, then beam column will provide no change.  In the HyperSizer documentation, search for the keyword, “beam-column” for a document that describes the beam-column capability.

2) When I have the edge loads, say a compressive NX, and add a pressure and choose "panel pressure", my NX design-to-loads along NX listed under FBD output end up being different from those I entered! One thinks that all the panel pressure does is that it produces moment and out of plane shear loads but not any edge tension or compression loads (i.e., Nx, Ny).

2. When you superimpose a pressure, HyperSizer assumes that the bending response is centered about the panel’s neutral axis, therefore if you are looking at a stiffened panel, where the reference plane is not at the neutral axis, then the pure bending response from panel pressure will cause an in-plane response at the panel reference plane.